Date:      Wed,  1 Sep 1999 10:42:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Testing gigabit NIC/ switches and 3C985B-SX support

Phil Regnauld writes:
 > Andrew Gallatin writes:
 > >
 > > These should be supported using the tigon driver (if_ti).
 >
 > 	Yes indeed, thanks -- I have just seen the lines in LINT.
 >
 > > You can expect about 2-3x this level of performance from FreeBSD.  Perhaps even
 > > more if you can use "jumbo" (aka 9000 byte) frames.  Does this 3Com
 > > 9300 SSII switch support jumbo frames?
 >
 > 	How do I find that out ?

Set the MTU to something > 1500 (like 9000) and see if you can still
communicate via the switch.   I don't know if the NT drivers support
jumbo frames.  I know the FreeBSD drivers do.   If you can set it to
9000 and it does work via the switch, try linking the machines
directly to rule out brokenness in the NT driver.

 > 	And would the numbers (132 Mbit/s) be tied to the OS (NT) or the
 > 	driver ?

It is hard to say.  It could be either.

Drew