Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 20:21:27 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        hamptonm@hotmail.com (Michael Hampton)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating FreeBSD boot floppy

Michael Hampton wrote:

> I am having trouble creating and/or using a FreeBSD boot floppy on my PC.  It's
> a 486DX/66.  I am pretty sure the problem is in the creation of the boot disk
> using fdimage.  At the DOS prompt I entered the following line:
>
> fdimage -f 1.44M -v boot.flp a:
>
> I got the prompt to enter a floppy in drive a: (which I did), and then the
> information regarding the formatting of the various tracks.  When it got to the
> point of the operation regarding writing, I got the following lines:
>
> Writing cyl 0 hd 0
> Sector not found

The most obvious explanation is a suspect floppy disk/drive.  Questions:
Did you try to create a boot floppy more than once, using different floppy
disks?  Can you DOS format the disks without errors?  Is this a 1.44M or
2.88M drive?

> When I tried to boot my machine with this disk, the PC kept rebooting after
> telling me that it couldn't find the kernel.  Any ideas?

As there was an error creating the boot image, this isn't too surprising. :-)

--
Robert Nordier