Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 1995 21:09:07 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/io

>>If this can be done OK, then I don't think there would be problems with
>>the same ports being used for both security holes and normal operations
>>providing the /dev/fb device is single-open (to prevent spying on the
>>fb contents).  Making it single-open prevents the running of multiple
>>servers, or use of the new DGA extension, but I think that's inevitable
>>at a high security level.
>
>The mapped ports can be determined by accessing them and seeing if a
>signal is generated (unless the kernel traps these accesses specially).
>Anyway, port like 3D4/3D5 are likely ;-) to be mapped and they only
>need one insecure index register in them to cause problems.
>
>I think these problems are best handled by not allowing the X server to
>be restarted (is that what you meant by "prevents running of multiple
>servers").  Start the X server and let it grab I/O permissions and

I meant running more than one server simultaneously.  The ability to
do this implies the ability for someone to access the video hardware
while a server is running, and that can be considered insecure.  Then
again I suppose being able to start a server at all while in secure mode
is insecure because it implies the ability to snoop on the text screen.

>memory maps the same as now before entering secure mode, and don't allow
>these operations at all in secure mode.  This reduces that problem to
>the usual one of protecting the server's text and data after it has
>started.

This is a rather sever limitation though.  There are lots of reasons
why you might need to restart a server (the most obvious is if it crashes).
However, if you really need a secure environment, this may be acceptable.
Some might argue that you shouldn't run an X server at all on a machine
that really needs to be secure.

David