Date:      Thu, 15 May 97 18:03:22 -0700
From:      "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        cgd@pa.dec.com (Chris G. Demetriou), gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU, imp@village.org, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha questions..

> > At minimum:
> >
> > 	(1) there are some interfaces provided by the SRM console's
> > 		OSF PALcode on some platforms which are not provided
> > 		by the MILO OSF PALcode, and
> >
> > 	(2) machine-checking handling/logout frames are different.
>
> 	(3) The SRM code for OSF/1 requires 32M.  The Linux code only
> 		requires 16M(*)
>
> (*) according to the guy here at the University of Arizona who did the
>     Linux stuff.

And incorrect.

Jeff Hsu (who did the initial port of NetBSD/alpha to AXPpci33-family
systems) was running his AXPpci33 with only 16M, with the standard
Digital SRM console.

SRM is a pig -- it eats 2M right off.  MILO apparently does better
than that, but that's because of the console software, not the
PALcode.  In my opinion, you'd have to be ... brave to try and use an
Alpha with 16M anyway, but there's no denying that the SRM eats more
memory than it "should."

cgd