Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 06:46:45 -0600
From:      Alan Edmonds <alan.edmonds@sterling.com>
To:        Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp problem.

Did you try swapping cables around to see if that helps?
Did you look at netstat -i -n and see if packets are being lost?
start a ping and watch netstat -i -n 1 and see if you see errors.
Run tcpdump and see if two is receiving packets.

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> I have three machines, named one,two,three on a simple bnc network, two is
> the machine in the middle.
>
> one can ftp files to and from three(and ping)
> two can ftp files to and from three (and ping)
>
> one can ping two and vice versa, but when I try to FTP, I can login, and
> start the transfer, but both machine "hang" after a few blocks transfered.
> This also goes the other way around.
>
> Three is a win95 machine, one is FreeBSD 4.0 release, and two is a dual boot
> win98/linux 2.3.51, though I have a feeling it is not OS related, but I'm
> not sure.
>
> One has a 3C509 ethernet card, two a Winbond NE2000 clone, three an unknown
> NE2000 clone.
>
> Does anybody recognize the problem? FTP files from one to two via three
> starts to get irritating.

Alan Edmonds, KB5ZUY               Sterling Software
                                   M/S 132
Phone: +1-972-801-6485             5800 Tennyson Pkwy.
Email: alan.edmonds@sterling.com   Plano, TX, USA  75024