Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 16:07:18 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Commit schedule (was Re: Terry, llamas, More breakage in -current...)

> Back to the original subject, guys.  I proposed the following
>
>   Let's accept the fact that -CURRENT's stability fluctuates and try
>   to influence the rhythm.  One possiblity might be to say:
>
>   - The first weekend in each month is the correct time for commiting
>     big modifications that can potentially compromise stability for a
>     while to come.

What if the developer doesn't have time that weekend to commit code?
What if that committer happens to have a project due that week, but two
weeks after that they have time to hack on a solution, and answer
questions on it?  What then?

>   - Any Sunday is the correct time for commiting smaller modifications
>     that can potentially compromise stability for a few days.

Why Sunday?  I tend to be on business during the week, so Friday
night/Saturday morning is the best time for me, since I can answer
questions and fix bugs over the weekend.

>   The advantage is that people can expect -CURRENT to be relatively
>   stable on a Friday, and particularly stable at the end of a month.

IMHO, this won't work simply because you can't dictate the schedule of a
volunteer.

Nate