Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 11:38:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Tim Wiess <twiess@ahaza.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4GB

Hello all,
I've been experiencing some major problems running FreeBSD on 4GB of
memory, and I was curious if anyone has experienced this before.

Bascially, the problem is that FreeBSD just won't boot. Shortly after the
kernel gains control of the system, it panics...

mp_lock = 0000000b; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000
fault virtual address   = 0xbff11000
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc027e48c
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc03c4f30
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc03c4f3c     95
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = Idle
interrupt mask          = net tty bio cam  <- SMP: XXX
kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
Stopped at      0xc027e48c:     movl    %edx,0xbfc00000(,%eax,4)

The IP is pointing to the pmap_map() loop. So it's clearly having problems
mapping out the VM.

I have yet to do any rigorous debugging, but I thought I would run this by
the mailing list before I do. The system is running on a Tyan Tiger LE
board with dual PIIIs (860Mhz) and 4 1GB (133Mhz) SiliconTech chips.

I have tested Linux on this same configuration, and while it boots
normally, it will eventually panic with a similar error once you start
doing some real work.

Any thoughts?

thanks

tim