Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:43:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        ip@mcc.ac.uk, kstewart@3-cities.com
Cc:        carlos@gutierrez.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, font@couscous.fortdearborn.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu
Subject:   Re: UPDATE: DAT always writes short tapes

another thing that can cause a local DAT to suddenly hold less is lack of
tape STREAMING. Suddenly my Sony SDT-5000 quit holding as much data as
it used to (only on our monthly level 0 dumps). I tried the cleaning
and order of dump paths, and it took me a couple of monthly backups to
realize that my mrouted running on my backup machine was keeping my
tapes from being able to stream.

I now kill the mrouted before I run the monthly, full backup script that
executes local and remote backups to the tape, and all is well with the
backups again.

I don't know what cause this streaming problem to suddenly start, but that
is an avenue that you may want to try in the search for your problem.

--mark.