Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 19:35:46 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "Larry S. Marso" <lsmarso@panix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web authoring tools?

> I am wondering what are the best tools for the FreeBSD platform (ports
> collection or other) for web site development.
>
> TheGimp is a dream for creating the graphical content, but what about the
> rest of the process?
>
> Of course, you can simply write html in vi or emacs.  You can use Netscape
> Communicator's own editor for very basic html.  What else of importance is
> available?
>
> How many people here develop web sites?  What tools do you use?

Larry, I've never gotten beyond (or felt the need to go beyond) emacs. I
have some basic macros defined, but for my site work (which is far more
Perl than HTML), emacs does everything for me. Our site uses no frames,
no Java, no backgrounds, just text, tables, JPEGs and a few animated
GIFs. We made the decision a long time ago to go for speed and
universality over pretty imagemaps, because our site is actually much
more extranet than promo. Anything but HTML-3.2 is a moving target, and
is unlikely to be useable everywhere. Most HTML is just cut and paste
anyway, once you have the basic structure up. I do have a lot of
on-the-fly generated pages, but again, that's Perl5 CGI.

If you do get into complex animations and such, that's Java or
Javascript, so again, a programmer's editor like emacs is it. You extend
it enough to automatically generate your style elements like buttons and
logo placements and non-html bullets, and beyond that it's all
programming, not WYSIWYG.