Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:47:15 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TV output turn on

--==_Exmh_-38386996P

> >      My Dell laptop has a ATI M3 video card, with an S-video output.
> >
> >      How do I turn on the S-video output with my FreeBSD 4.7-stable?
> >
> >      On Windows98 I can turn on output to the TV thru the S-video by
> > boring down to advanced settings/display, and setting some options,
> > if the TV is connected to the S-video port.
> >
> >      I "need" this on FreeBSD in order to run ogle to watch a European DVD
> > which I can't seem to watch any other ways which I have tried, but won't
> > go into here.

Have you tried 'mplayer'? It seems to be more flexible (and faster,
smoother, etc.) for most of the DVD's I own.

> >      Could this be an option in my X11/XF86Config file?  Do you
> > suppose 'XFree86 -configure' would probe the TV if it were connected
> > at the time?
>
>     This functionality is not yet supported in XFree86.

Yup.

>     *IF* you can hack v4l (video4linux) to work on FreeBSD, then the
> GATOS project's atitvout package might help you.  You will need drm
> working as well.

Hmm? I don't see how v4l will make any difference? I could (easily ;-)
be wrong, but I thought video4linux was video-capture-related?

I use the Gatos ATI drivers on my Mobility M1 to provide XvImage support
(hardware scaling and color transform), and they work great.

drm and dri are not available for the Rage 128 Mobility M1, so I don't
see how they are necessary to use the Gatos stuff...

It's probably worth trying just installing Gatos and seeing if
'atitvout' works - I'd try it here, but I don't have TVOUT on my M1...

>     You could, of course, just watch the DVD on your laptop.

Heh. After two years of using my laptop to do just that, I'm astonished
how much better (particularly more vibrant colors) everything looks on a
CRT since I started docking it... :-)

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_-38386996P