Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 19:48:40 -0800
From:      Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Dom Mitchell <dom@phmit.demon.co.uk>, jseger@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/8411: update xscreensaver to 3.00

Dom Mitchell wrote:

> This is an update of the xscreensaver port to 3.00, the latest.  I've
> taken out the patch which prevents it from using passwords (not sure
> why it was there...).  It gets installed root, so it can read the
> password file.  Personally, I like this.

Let me get this straight:

  *  you've disabled *security code* that by your own admission
     you do not understand;

  *  you did so without even bothering to ask the author of that
     code why it was there;

  *  and then you DISTRIBUTED THE RESULT???

Do whatever crazy things you like on your own system, but
DO NOT distribute xscreensaver modified in this way.
You have opened up a gaping security hole.

Please delete your modified version ASAP before someone is
foolish enough to install it somewhere where it can be exploited.

--
Jamie Zawinski
jwz@mozilla.org    http://www.mozilla.org/   (work)