Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:35:42 -0700
From:      "Caleb Walker" <cwalker@cwalk.org>
To:        "Chris Hill" <chris@monochrome.org>, "Danny Byers" <dan@magma.ca>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ADSL, FreeBSD gateway, slow web browsing

I am sorry for this poorly formatted email I am working from another machine
in my
network.  As a side point does anyone know how to make this cheezy outlook
express
wrap lines at 72 or something??  I am pressing cr after every line here...
anyway
enough of that crap and on to your question...

For a 192.168.X.X address you would use a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask to keep
with the class C address.  You can use 255.255.0.0 for this small network I
am sure,
but really you should use a class C subnet mask.

For your little network dont even touch your hosts file.  Windows machines
need
no hosts names to talk to each other they use NetBIOS names that are all
braodcast
through netBIOS or TCP/IP better known as NBT.  If you want to go even
further
you could implement LMHOSTS or a WINS for NetBIOS name resolution but that
is
highly not needed.
As far as our Internet problem I am not sure there is not really enough info
for me to
come to a conclusion but you should try all of the different tools for
tcp/ip like ping
and tracert(tracert is only on WINNT you could also get third party
traceroute programs
like visual route or something or you could use traceroute from BSD)  Your
IP
addressing looks good as far as I can tell from here.