Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:58:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Grover, Andrew" <andrew.grover@intel.com>
Cc:        ia64@FreeBSD.ORG, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Subject:   RE: Faulty ACPI debug code [was: Re: Booting a dual ...]

On 16-Oct-01 Grover, Andrew wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for the problem reports. Our code can't use GCC extensions and
> maintain ANSI C conformance, but it sure looks like using them briefly and
> cleaning up the code would be a good thing to do...;-)

One thing you can do is use a macro similar to the way FreeBSD does:

/*
 * Compiler-dependent macros to declare that functions take printf-like
 * or scanf-like arguments.  They are null except for versions of gcc
 * that are known to support the features properly (old versions of gcc-2
 * didn't permit keeping the keywords out of the application namespace).
 */
#if __GNUC__ < 2 || __GNUC__ == 2 && __GNUC_MINOR__ < 7
#define __printflike(fmtarg, firstvararg)
#define __scanflike(fmtarg, firstvararg)
#else
#define __printflike(fmtarg, firstvararg) \
            __attribute__((__format__ (__printf__, fmtarg, firstvararg)))
#define __scanflike(fmtarg, firstvararg) \
            __attribute__((__format__ (__scanf__, fmtarg, firstvararg)))
#endif

You can then use '__printflike(4, 5)' instead of using __attribute__ directly.
This gives you all the warnings on newer versions of GCC while still allowing
the code to compile on other compilers without problems.