Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 1996 22:27:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        rwm@MPGN.COM (Rob Miracle)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SYSV Shared Memory Question

> We need a boat load of SYSV shared memory and we get a Kernel panic when we
> try to request it.  Here are the specifics:
>
> PentiumPro 200, 256M memory
> We need 22000 pages of Shared memory for one application, and a little bit
> more.  On Ultrix 4.4, we declare smmax at 24000 and smseg 32 and things work
> well.  The total shared memory can be any amount.
>
> On our FreeBSD 2.x.x (we have tried 2.1.0, 2.1.5, and 2.2.snap (most recent))
> when we set SHMMAXPGS to 22000 and SHMALL to something over 30000, we get a
> kernel panic in kmem_suballoc of type 3.

I think that I have corrected the code in 2.2-current.  You can just grab
the new sysv_shm in current, and it will probably work in 2.2-snap.  The
SHM segments no longer take any significant KVA space.  The code might
be buggy, but the changes are pretty simple, and I have tested the operation
of the SHM by using xanim with the SVSHM option (+B) and it appears to work.

Good Luck!!!
John