Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:30:54 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@quick.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        sjg@quick.com.au
Subject:   sys.mk including bsd.own.mk

Hi,

I have just started looking at the /usr/share/mk macros on FreeBSD for
a project at work.  I'm familiar with the NetBSD ones and my own set
which are derrived from the NetBSD ones.

While I've not tested it yet, I like the look of the support for
read-only source trees in bsd.obj.mk

However, the fact that FreeBSD's sys.mk includes bsd.own.mk strikes me
as a bad idea.  It certainly breaks one of my build environments.
Because it gets included so early on in the makefile parsing, it might
as well be full of VAR=val rather than VAR?=val.  This sort of thing
makes it far more difficult than necessary to use make and the
/usr/share/mk macros for building projects other than /usr/src.

One of my goals for the project that I'm working on is to derrive
maximum benefit from the /usr/share/mk macros while as far as possible
avoiding local hacks.

I made a quick attempt to search the gnats database to see if there
are any PR's that caused the current setup to evolve and also tried
searching the mailing list archive without much luck.

I'd love to hear from any FreeBSD developer who can (and is intersted
in) discussing the current FreeBSD macro setup and why it has evolved
this way.

I'm happy to raise PR's but that seems a bit premature at this stage.

Thanks

--sjg