Date:      Mon, 30 May 2005 11:31:30 -0700
From:      Scott Stevenson <scott@maxify.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clients receive only first 4k (issue with pf.conf) -- ignore others

On May 30, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Scott Stevenson wrote:

> The problem is that if I use the version without "keep state," the
> machine can't send outbound mail, and I see messages like this in
> maillog:
>
>     May 30 09:14:33 vertigo qmail: 1117469673.126013 delivery
> 639634: deferral
>     Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/
>
> In fact, I tried to send this message to the list twice yesterday,
> but realized that mail packets were being filtered out. I looked at
> pflog0 while mail was being sent, but I wasn't able to find the
> bounced packets. Here's the relevant smtp line:
>
>     pass  in  quick on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } from any to any
> port 25
>

> I'm much more familiar with the firewalls bundled with various
> linux distributions, so I'm really stumped. I've read through
> various sections of the PF faq, but I haven't found an answer to this.

Sorry to post *yet again* on this, but I think I finally figured out
what was wrong. I want to post a follow-up for the archives. The
solution to "partial page" Apache problem was to balance the "keep
state" directives.

Originally, the httpd line looked like this:

     pass  in  quick on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } from any to any
port 80

And the "out" line looked like this:

     pass  out on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } all keep state

The solution was to change the httpd line to this:

     pass  in  quick on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } from any to any
port 80 keep state

Does it make sense that I'd need "keep state" for both in and out, or
is this a PF bug? Should I add it to these as well?

     pass  in  quick on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } from any to any
port 25
     pass  in  quick on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } from any to any
port 53

Thanks, and sorry again for the duplicate messages.

     - Scott