Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:55:53 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integration of Net/OpenBSD code (was Re: your mail)

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0008200017430.15719-100000@zeppo.feral.com>, Matthew
> Jacob writes:
> >
> >As someone who spends a fair amount of time doing just this, I have to say
> >that the *BSD's have deviated significantly in many respects. So much so that
> >very conscious major design choices have to be made to facilitate any kind of
> >code sharing.
>
> I think attempting to keep the *BSD's compatible at the source code
> level would severely limit out ability to respond to where the
> market is headed.

There is a certain amount of code darwinism occuring here.  This is generally
a good thing (tm).  xBSD tries one way, yBSD another, zBSD waits to see
which one ends up working best and adopting that.  Eventually, if the x
solution is seen to be vastly superior to the y solution, yBSD adopts it
as well.

> As long as the *BSD's are separate projects, coordination can only
> happen in the case where it's the same developer in all of the
> projects.  Anything else is just futile dreaming...

Darren's ipf is a great example of this.  While I appreciate how much more
work it is for him to maintain it on different systems, each of these
systems do bring different strengths and weaknesses to the table.  I'm
certain porting across systems probably makes ipf better in the long run,
too.