Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 1996 03:38:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Lo and behold, Doug White once said:
> > password change. So does anybody know if I can import the Linux password
> > file to FreeBSD ? I don't know which encryption it has, and whether that
> > can be used by FreeBSD.
> > I'd really prefer FreeBSD over linux for the upgrade, but if the password
> > file cannot be used, it will remain a Linux machine.
>
> Yes, your Linux passwd file can be converted.  You'll have to search the
> -questions archives on http://www.freebsd.org under "search" for the Perl
> script and/or location, since I don't have them offhand.

   Quite easily.  I posted a script which converted the passwd file some
months ago; if you're interested, mail me privately and I'll send it to you.

   Linux uses DES encryption for the passwd file.  FreeBSD can do so if
you install the DES package when you configure your system - quite easy
to do.  We run a mixed Linux/FreeBSD environment here with no problems
whatsoever (well, except for the bleeding Linux box crashing. :).

  -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)