Date:      Sat,  6 Nov 1999 17:40:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        mholloway@flashmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X on FreeBSD Alpha..woes!

Mark L. Holloway writes:
 > I've loaded FreeBSD 3.2 on two different Alphas and X doesn't work for anything..
 > I know there are some hints to getting it to work, but I have no clue what they
 > are!  Also, does this problem exist on the 4.0 snapshot too? I appreicate any
 > help..

"Doesn't work for anything" isn't a very meaningful problem
description ;-)  What kinds of cards are you trying, in what types of
machines, and what sorts of failures have you seen?

Some card combinations just don't work well on alphas.  Probably
because they are less tolerant of bad PCI cards.  I gave up on ever
getting a $20USD S3 virge based card to work on an alpha.  But I've
happily run an Ati Mach64 in the same box.

I've found 3DLabs Permedia base cards (use the XF86_3DLabs server) to
work fairly well & to be reasonably priced...  I've got 5 machines
running happily here with cards based on this chipset, including my
home box.

BTW -- 4.0 and 3.x have almost nothing to do with how well X will
work.  The basic support is present in both branches.  I run 4.x for
its other features, but -stable should run X just as well.

Drew