Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:13:08 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Use of if_ef for 802.11 interfaces?

Duncan Barclay wrote:

> Hi
>
> Currently, I'm updating if_ray to work with newer cards and access points. In
> doing this I have to have code to cope with hacking the ethernet header
> around. For example on transmit I need:
>
>         o build 802.11 header
>                 (add source, destination and BSS or AP address and a few
>                 flags)
>
>         o then encapsulate, or
>                 (802.11 header pre-pended to complete Ethernet II packet)
>
>         o translate
>                 (remove Ethernet header, replace with 802.11 header and
>                 RFC1042 LLC/SNAP)
>
> Most (awi, if_wi) other 802.11 drivers need to do something similar. In
> digging around I re-discovered if_ef and wondered if this is a good
> place to add this functionality?

I am looking at building a set of Netgraph nodes for mangling 802.11
packets. I will possibly be doing WEP and AP related functions on netgraph
nodes. What code do you already have?

I see Andre has already spoken up.
We would be working on this.

> A couple of practical points arise for outgoing packets revolving
> around the type of 802.11 network in use (infrastructure or adhoc)
> that would involve if_ef knowing what mode the interface is in and the
> BSSID. We have some common support for this in the form of the recent
> (uncommitted) patches to ifconfig PR25577.
>
> In summary,
>         o is if_ef the best place for this?
>         o if not, would an 80211_input() be useful?
>         o if not, I'll copy the code from awi.c
>
> Duncan
>
> PS.
>
> I have also noticed that most of the 802.11 drivers that divine whether
> RFC1042 is being used on received packets can potentially get things a
> bit wrong by incompletely parsing the .11 header. This can be trivially
> fixed though.
>
> ---

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org