Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:11:34 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
Cc:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My wi(4) ate itself (or Fun with no memory).

> [...]
> >=20
> > Thanx,
> > juli.
> > --=20
> > Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
> > AIM: BSDFlata IRC: juli@EFnet#flata
> > OpenDarwin, Mono, FreeBSD Developer.
> > ircd-hybrid Developer, EFnet addict.
> > FreeBSD on MIPS-Anything on FreeBSD.
> >=20
> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
> >=20
> >=20
>
> I get those messages when running dstumbler and then trying to do other stu=
> ff
> with the device.
> The bad thing is, that the chip is integrated in my notebook so i can't sim=
> ply
> take it out and back in again :-)
> Is there any other way to reinitialize the card?

I see a possible fix posted by Michael Ranner and will try it next
week.

I have discovered that the problem seems to occur only when I am at
work and receive signals from an encrypted access point to which I
can't (and don't want to) associate. Something about this situation
triggers the problem in FreeBSD while under Windows I am simply
notified that a new base-station is being received. Clearly, FreeBSD
is not handling something properly.

As a work-around, I built a new kernel without the wi driver. When I
want to use the wireless card (in my T30 with an Intersil Prism 2.5
miniPCI card), I can then either:
(Only at boot time)
# load if_wi
or:
(After the system has booted)
# kldload if_wi
# /etc/pccard_ether wi0 start
# dhclient wi0

Either of these will leave me with an operational card when I want it
with minimal effort. I am also playing with some trivial code in the
driver to allow the me to turn off the radio on the 802.11b card which
would allow me to permanently load the driver again as well as save
some power when on batteries but not using the wireless network.

I still hope that this gets fixed and I will try Michael's patch as
soon as I am in my Berkeley office where the problem occurs.
I should also point out that this applies to -stable and that is where
I will be testing since I have been unable to get 5.0 to see ANY
PCcard inserted. (This showed up between DP1 and DP2.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)