Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 11:09:45 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Jason Taylor <jason+freebsd@kanda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zapping Email Box

At 04:56 PM 5.15.2002 +0100, Jason Taylor wrote:
>On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:30:52AM -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:
>> >
>> >my mymailbox mymailbox.yesterday
>> >
>> >Then do your cleanout etc. on mymailbox.yesterday.
>> >
>> >That should be alot safer
>> >
>> >Jason
>>
>> ....but, I must zero out "mymailbox" exactly at 23.59.... that's the
>> problem, not making a work copy. I already make a "work" copy like
>> "mymailbox.yesterday" for doing the other processes. The problem is
>> clearing out the original mymailbox....
>
>Ok then:
>
>mv mailbox mailbox.yesterday && touch mailbox
>
>Jason

...no, "touch" is no different (or better) than my using "echo ." which
also zeros out the mailbox... both will do that, BUT, the concern is only
that if the cron job is using echo or touch to zero out the mailbox at a
random moment when mail is going through, it could corrupt the box...
that's the concern.... zeroing out (zap) is not the problem.....

To be real safe, I could load an email client right after the 23.59 "zap",
but that might not be reliable as it must be done before 00.00, so it only
has a 1-minute time frame to clear out the box....

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin