Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:28:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        Pete <pete-freebsd-hackers@toscano.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3 IDE devices on Promise card + FreeBSD == not possible?

It seems Pete wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Søren Schmidt wrote:
>
> > No, thats not the case, the ATA driver has a built in RAID engine
> > to use with Promise and HighPoint controllers. The reason it is
> > like this is that it is nessesary to read the RAID config off the
> > disks in a vendor specific way, and neither of cdd/vinum could do
> > this when its was done.
>
> So, if I were to create the RAID-1 volume with atacontrol, I'm tied to
> using the Promise controller?  Could I move the drives to a
> Highpoint-based controller or just a plain on-board ATA interface and
> still have the RAID volume accessible?  If I want this kind of
> flexibility, should I move to Vinum?

If you want to boot from the array you need to have the array config
in a way that fits the controller, if thats not needed you can move
around as you see fit, you can even make ATA RAID's on any ATA controller
not just Promise or Highpoint as loong as you wont boot from it.
I guess I should make an option to atacontrol that can convert between
HPT/Promise format or maybe just silently write both to the disks ;)

-Søren