Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 09:45:11 -0500
From:      Steve Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>, louie@TransSys.COM, committers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

> I agree.  Why rush 4.0-RELEASE out the door if it's "not there yet"?  One
> possibility is to make our 4.0-current something like 3.9-RELEASE, and
> when everything has been added, release 4.0-RELEASE.  3.9-RELEASE would be
> a lot like 4.0-REL, only with some missing parts (such as IPV6 you just
> mentioned).  That way, 3.9-REL would bear all the shortcomings of a
> release ending in 0, and when 4.0-REL comes out, it would be less buggy
> than most *.0 releases.  (It would really be at the level of a *.1 release
> then.)

I don't think anything is being rushed out the door. _FEATURE_ freeze
is January 15th. That means that any new features to be added to 4.0
have to be in the source repository by January 15th... now once a feature
is in, I'm sure _AMPLE_ time will be given to get every 4.0 feature
working completely before 4.0 becomes -RELEASE.

My question is how much time are developers/testers being given between
feature freeze (9 days from now) and release to get all code working
and stable?

FWIW, I'd call IPv6 a feature... releasing half a feature looks pretty rushed.

-Steve