Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 14:18:58 -0800
From:      JMS Internet <webmaster@jmsinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory Usage

My server runs on a dedicated 10mbps connection.  Unfortunately after
installing additional ram to help speed up the system I have had no luck
determining why the memory is used up as soon as I start the system.  The
system serves webpages only, so Apache and sendmail are really my only
programs running.  I've taken the following measurements from 'top' in case
it helps anyone, while running normally my system shows:
784M Active	46M Inactive	129M Wired	34M Cache	8M Buffer	3M Free
After stopping Apache (leaving approximately 20 megs of programs and system
utilities left running I get the following numbers)
577M Active	46M Inactive	111M Wired	29M Cache	8M Buffer	236M Free

My question mainly pertains to why the system is not 'freeing' up the
memory even though it is not actually doing anything.  I'm assuming that
could be the reason I'm having such a hard time with system
response.  Telnet sessions are almost impossible until Apache is killed,
and FTPing isn't much better.  Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You,
Jason