Date:      Mon,  8 Mar 2004 19:47:28 -0800
From:      "Benjamin Everist" <ev@aisnm.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   give a poor n00b a hand?

So I'm playing around with 5.2 rel on my laptop.  On 4.8, the nic was recognized and installed as if by magic, but now, alas, it seems fbsd wants me to think about stuff.  As is the way with all windoze lusers, thinking flusters me so I spam you.  I really did look at stuff before crawling to the list, like google, and UPDATING....

Its a dell latitude, with a 3com nic in the docking station.  I have no way to get files from the laptop, so I will transcribe what I hope is important:

dmesg | less -
xl0: <3com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL> port 0xfc80-0xfcbf irq 10 at device 8.0 on pci2
xl0: couldn't map ports / memory
device_probe_and_attach: xl0 attach returned 6

pciconf -lv
none4@pci2:8:0: class=0x020000 card=0x00751028 chip=0x905010b7 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
(vendor=3com corp, device=3c905, etc, etc)

I read on google someone suggesting to boot with acpi disabled, no joy there, although the output of pciconf changed with the nic moving to none3@pci2

any help out there?

thanks,

Benjamin Everist