Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 14:12:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        b97001@lums.edu.pk
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XWin Config

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996 b97001@lums.edu.pk wrote:

> Here's all the detail that I think would help you in figuring out the problem.
> As i said, it's a 486 DX@/66 with 8 MB RAM. The monitor that i have is DATAS
> interlace, with the following horizontal & vertical scan frequencies:

[omitted]

> The video card i am using is Trident VGA (1 MB).
>
> The way i install the FreeBSD is that I have a CD of 2.0.5. However, since my
> CD Drive is not scuzzy, what i do is that i copy the installation on the DOS
> drive and then do the installation from there. I use xf86config program to make
> the file. After making the config file, i run the 'X' program. First a blank
> screen appears with twinkling stars, then a screen with background crosses
> appears, with an X as a mouse pointr. Immediately afterwards, the system either
> hangs, in which case i have to do Ctrl+Alt+BckSpace, or it starts to sync
> discs. The message that appears is
>      Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>      Fault code: supervisor write, page not present
> Then the system reboots.

It panics?  That is not good.  I usually associate trap 12's with out of
memory.

Which X server are you using?  You should be on either VGA16 or SVGA.

You should use 'startx' to start the X server.

> Well, that's all that i could figure out to be relevant. If there are any more
> questions, please address them to b97001@lums.edu.pk. As you might have
> guessed, i'm new to Unix OS. If there's a way in which i can redirect these
> errors in some file, then i could send you the whole file.

The X server's errors you can redirect as normal:

startx > errors

the > is "redirection" and takes the output and puts in the file given
after the >.  Just like DOS.  :-)