Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 07:32:33 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Glendon Gross <gross@clones.com>
Cc:        Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Malloc type lacks magic" show-stopper solved

In message <Pine.LNX.4.20.0010270634450.6309-100000@mail.clones.com>,
Glendon G
ross writes:

> This reminds me of another issue I have wondered about for some time.
> Are there major advantages to be gained by disabling support for other
> architectures in the kernel build file?  I have been routinely turning off
> 386 and 486 support, thinking this would speed things up... but I'm not
> sure of the soundness of this logic.  Does anyone know if disabling
> support for other CPU's increases performance?

There are sections of code in the kernel specific to a particular CPU.
By specifying the CPU, you ifdef out any code specific to other CPU's
in the kernel making it slightly smaller and faster.  For today's PII's
and PIII's I don't think that the additional instructions make much of
a noticeable difference in the speed of the machine, however on older
P120's, 486's, and 386's, the additional instructions would have more
of a noticeable impact.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC