Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2000 22:32:32 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        data@irev.net ("Jeremiah Gowdy")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gateway to DSL Router

On 7 Nov 2000 01:26:02 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you =
wrote:

>I want to put my FreeBSD box between my LAN and my DSL router, without =
using any NAT.  I'm going to have two Intel EtherExpress PROs, and I have=
 plenty of IPs.  I tried just setting it up so that the FreeBSD box had =
Gateway enabled, but it wouldn't pass the packets to the DSL Router with =
one IP and one NIC.  I don't really understand why.  If my BSD box is =
X.X.X.2 and the DSL router is X.X.X.1 and the BSD box is set default =
route X.X.X.1 and the LAN computers are set to have their gateway X.X.X.2=
 (the BSD box), and gateway is enabled, why the heck won't BSD pass the =
packets like a gateway to the default route ?  I shouldn't even need two =
NICs.

what does
sysctl -a | grep forward

show ?

i.e. do you have ip forwarding enabled.  Also, a better diagram with real
IP numbers (they can be mapped to RFC1918 space) would go a long way in
helping to understand what the problem may be.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)