Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:45:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The RELENG_4 (aka -stable) branch is now unfrozen

Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com> wrote:
 > From: Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
 > > In that case I think I could take over the job.  ;-)
 > > I'm doing the release for the Lehmanns Edition of FreeBSD
 > > right now ...
 >
 > I'd be interested to know how you go about splitting up the packages.

I'm doing that manually, more or less (although I do have
a few scripts that help in the process).  I take the output
of your script src/release/scripts/print-cdrom-packages.sh
as a base and add a bunch of other things that I think are
important or popular enough to be on the 1st CD, taking
all dependencies into account.

Distribution of the remaining packages among the other CDs
is a lot less sophisticated.  Last time when I did 4.2-
Release i was even tired enough to just put them in
alphabetical order, i.e. starting with "a" on CD2.  I am
aware that that was a very sub-optimal approach, but nobody
has complained.  :-)

I have put a few of my scripts on the web server.  Maybe
some of them might be helpful to others.

-1-
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/scripts/make_filename.txt
This is a simple one that creates the "filename.txt" files
for the CD-ROMs.

-2-
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/scripts/make_package_stuff
I use this scripts for creating the package infrastructure
on the CD-ROMs, i.e. the INDEX, the "Latest" directory,
the categories and all of the symlinks.

-3-
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/scripts/pkg_dep
This is a tool that prints dependencies (recursively) and
categories for packages.  I know this can be done with the
/usr/ports Makefile framework, too, but that's awfully
slow.  This pkg_dep script is a lot faster.

-4-
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/scripts/release-postprocess
Finally, I use this script to perform some of the post-
processing after a ``make release''.  It puts XF86336 and
the "tools" directory at the right place etc.  It also
creates two small ISOs (without packages) for FTPing.

Oh by the way, I also started to patch sysinstall to handle
multiple CDs in a more convenient manner, i.e. presenting a
list of all packages from all CDs to the user, and telling
him to insert CD #X as necessary.  This makes the problem
of splitting up the packages among the CDs a little less
critical.

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  Steve, I'd love to see your package split script.