Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:45:31 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jeff Wheat <jeff@cetlink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: cheap cheap 4mm tape drive wanted

On Thu, Dec 11, 1997 at 11:33:43AM -0500, Jeff Wheat wrote:

> On 11-Dec-97 Greg Lehey wrote:
>>> http://www.corpsys.com has had good prices on DDS drives in the past
>>> but I haven't seen any in the past year.
>>
>> They've been offering an Archive 4586 autochange for some time now.
>> The current price is #379.  See more details on
>> http://www.corpsys.com/cgi-bin/select?282585099339485&specials&4586NPR.
>> I have one of these drives, and so far it's been the most reliable DDS
>> drive I've ever had (daily 8 hour backups for a year now).  By
>> contrast, the HP drives are unreliable.  You should definitely avoid
>> the old DDS-1 drives, which never lasted more than 6 months for me.
>>
>>> After chewing up two WangDAT 3100's I've always been happy with the
>>> Archive drives. And I was very happy when Seagate shipped the SCSI
>>> programmer's guide for free when I asked for it.
>
>         Hi there. I just recently bought two of the 4586 drives from
> corpsys.com and have had to return 3 of them so far. They seem to die
> when doing dumps after about 4 hours into the dumps. I have them setup
> under FreeBSD 2.2.5 with an Adaptec 2940UW controller. I have tried to
> use the changer script from corpsys.com's ftp site and it trashed my hard
> drives due to what seems to be changes to the scsi command itself. If you
> could send me any information on how to use these drives with 120meter
> dds2 tapes and amanda backup software I would be very grateful. I would
> really hate to return these drives.

Well, I don't use dump or amanda.  They're fine for backups, but
frequently I need to grab a backup tape and read it in on a system
somewhere else, and you can't rely on the other system having a
compatible dump or amanda.  That's why I use tar, which is pretty
universal.

Having said that, your symptoms as you describe them don't look like
they obviously point to the drive being faulty.  I don't use the
changer scripts: you can move to the next cartridge with 'mt offline',
and that's all I need to do.  Could you describe the way the drives
"die"?  Does that mean they never work again?

What I do is basically:

TAPE=/dev/nrst0 export TAPE
tar c /filesys1
tar c /filesys2
tar c /filesys3
mt rewind
# Make a list of what I wrote
tar tv >filesys1
tar tv >filesys2
tar tv >filesys3
mt offline

In fact, of course, there's a little more shell trickery than that,
but that's all that affects the tape drive.  As I said, it works
fine.  Why don't you try my method next time a drive "dies", and see
if it still works this way.

Greg