Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:49:15 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        uwp@ukrv.de (Udo Wolter)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Burning CDs

Hi ...

> 1) How to burn an Audio CD ?

Hi ... I used a port called cd-write to copy the audio tracks
from a audio cd, to see if I could write them back again ...

I was able to write suck a cd, using the cd-write port again :)
but it wasn't 100% working :)

Maybe someone could answer this ... can I use dd to dump an entire
cd (/dev/worm0) to a file and then just use dump it back again or
use the burn shell script .. mmhhmm probably not .... because then
it will be only one track :/

> 2) How to burn a Mixed-Mode CD ?

Not sure ... haven't done this .. YET ... (making some more Frisbees :) )

> 3) How to burn a Multisession-CD ?

This I got working ... using the following programs ...

(This is all done on a 3.0-SNAP)
package - mkisofs-1.10.tgz (it has multisession support)
cdrecord-1.5a4 (there might be another coice for this ... I only use it
                to get the correct info for mkisofs)
A modified makecdfs.sh - multicdfs.sh (included below)
A modified burncd.sh

Basically the first image is created using the standard makecdfs.sh
and then burned using the burncd.sh
# sh burncd.sh session1.img onp

Then I use cdrecord to get the correct info for mkisofs for the next
session (if there is another way, let me know :) )
The readme files in cdrecord also describes this process well ..
e.g.

# ./cdrecord -msinfo -dev=0,6,0
12765, 23456                      <--- output generated

You then create your next file system .. preferably in a separete
directory :) .. e.g.  session1/dir1 and session2/dir2 and then
do a

# sh muticdfs.sh session2 ses2.img 12765 23456

This will then greate a multi session image to write to the CD
using burncd.sh

# sh burncd.sh ses2.img onp

The onp is optional ... if you don't want to write any more sesions,
just don't add it to the command

One thing that just bothers me a bit, has to do with the long file
names ... the root on the cd, after the first session could already
have a Rock ridge translation file on it ... ?? You will see that
I have opted to leave out the -T option on mkisofs ... because
I don't know what will happen if there is more than one file
with the same name trying to be written to the root of the CD ??

Anyone with any ideas on this ?

Anyway .. I have written a CD with a few sessions on it and was
able to retrieve the data again :) after it has been mounted, so
it seems to work :)

Bye
Reinier