Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:41:17 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Kuti Zsolt <Kuti@cetelem.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: native 1.2 & file permissions

Kuti Zsolt wrote:

> > Hello!
> >
> > After build, when installed on a mashine with umask 077 set for normal
> > users, the root can use jdk1.2, while a normal user can't. Then I set r,x
> > permissions recursively by hand. Now it works for normal users, but it's
> > seems not to be a real solution as OpenJIT's build can only be done as
> > root and after install can only be used by root.
> > Everything is OK on a machine with the default 022 umask.

I think the problem is that the port is not *installed* but
just tarred from the WRKSRCDIR to the install dir. While this
is *much* faster than recursive install, it does not set modes.
The distfile is untarred as the build user, with build user's
umask...

Best way to fix this would be to, in the port, keep the
distributed permissions using -p with tar, and chown -R root
upon installation. Depends on how well the tarball's
persmission are set...

/Palle