Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 19:01:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        reilly@zeta.org.au (Andrew Reilly)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, malte.lance@gmx.net, reilly@zeta.org.au, jgrosch@mooseriver.com, shocking@prth.pgs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fast FFT routines with source?

> It's not quite that bad, just not useful for BSD-style free software.
> The last time I read the doco they explained that they'd used this
> licence so that GPL's code could be written.  Their intention was (is)
> to also offer a non-GPL'd version to those willing to pay a commercial
> licence fee.

In general, manufacturing processes are trade secrets.  For a trade
secret, you can't use a source available license and expect to keep
the secret.  That's one of the intents of a source available license:
to allow those who disagree with it to effectively rewrite Article I,
section 12 of the US Constitution.

Note that fixes contributed back under the terms of that license
are also covered under the terms of that license; that is, as
derivative works, they contaminate the authorship of the code.

Only if you explicitly go out of your way to refuse contributions
to the software rather than to you do you, as the orginal author,
retain rights to relicense the combined code.

Tim Wilkerson has done precisely this with Kaffe, which is nominally
under GPL.

If this is the type of control you want, then a Sun/Java style
license is the best way to achieve it (ie: JavaSoft, NPL, etc.);
the failure of the Sun License was that it was not granted in
perpetuity, which allwed Sun to shoot themselves in the foot in
an attempt to capitalize on it, destroying the availability of the
reference implementation.  The history of TCP/IP shows us why a
public reference implementation is necessary.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.