Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 03:24:27 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, rsharpe@ns.aus.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does anyone know if the Broadcom BCM5700 has problems with HW csum?

David Greenman wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >You're probably incorrect, it doesn't matter if vlan tags are active
> >or not, it's most likely wheather or not the firmware is being asked
> >to handle them at all.
>
>    I would think it would get the checksum wrong most of the time if that
> were the case. It seems to only have problems with small packets, but the
> behavior is pretty strange, so who knows. Do you have some specific knowledge
> about Broadcom and brokeness related to VLAN tag support when not using
> VLANs?

If it's very small payload, it's probably a byte-order-in-buffer
issue (several Eagle manufactured cards had similar problems, and
so did the NE1000, when it came to DMA transfers, back when 16 bit
transfers were new 8^).

For VLANs, yes, there are specific problems known with the Broadcom
cards when the firmware support for VLANs is enabled.  The first card
known to work with checksum offload enable and VLAN support enabled
(whether it's used or not) is the Tigon III.  I don't know if Bill
Paul fixed the firmware for the Tigon II in this case (he has been
known to hack Tigon II firmware), but it could have been fixed by now.

In any case, disabling it is what ClickArray ended up doing, as well,
for the Tigon II, until the firmware could be fixed.

-- Terry