Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:30:41 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd@killersolutions.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD routing between 2 interfaces

--vqZEy/DEMZDTzjXG

On Tuesday, 30 September 2003 at 21:33:43 -0400, freebsd@killersolutions.co=
m wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD users,
>
> I urgenly need to connect 192.168.1.* network to the internet. What
> am I doing wrong?

You're assuming it's possible.  It's not.  Addresses in the range
192.168.x.x are explicitly not routed.  See RFC 1918
(http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc1918.html) for further
details.

You're not very clear about your router, but I assume it does NAT for
you: to connect an RFC 1918 network to the Internet, you need to use
some form of Network Address Translation (NAT).  Theoretically, you'd
need to do the same at the junction between the 192.168.0.x and
192.168.1.x networks, though you might be able to fake things by
choosing 23 bit net masks.  If this doesn't mean anything to you,
don't ask. =20

Greg
NOTE: Due to the currently active Microsoft-based worms, I am limiting
all incoming mail to 131,072 bytes.  This is enough for normal mail,
but not for large attachments.  Please send these as URLs.

--vqZEy/DEMZDTzjXG

--vqZEy/DEMZDTzjXG--