Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:10:22 -0400
From:      "Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM" <tforrest@mcs.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newbie Alert - Kernel + PAS16/SCSI Controller

That is really aggravating.  Someone needs to update http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html#INSTALL-HW and put a little "*" beside the line
"SoundBlaster SCSI and ProAudio Spectrum SCSI (cd)" to include "not in the latest release".  I choose FreeBSD because it (as I was lead to believe)
supported all of my hardware, what a big let down.

Thank you for your time.

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 20:59:48 -0600 (MDT), Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

>[ In the future, please keep your line lengths less than 80 characters ]
>
>Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM wrote...
>> Call me frustrated in the State of Insanity.
>>

>> Working with 3.3-RELEASE.  Trying to configure the kernel for my PAS16 and its onboard SCSI controller that I intend to run my Plextor CDROM from.  I am
>> bit frustrated at the documentation for this.  Either that or I am just missing something here.  I was told to refer to /i386/isa/sound/sound.doc.  In this
document
>> it tells me to "Uncomment one or more of these device entries, depending on what type of sound card you have"  and for my PAS16 I put into my kernel file
>> (WEEDWHACKER) device pas0	at isa? port 0x388 irq 10 drq 6  I also added my device node as I was told to do on the freebsd.org pages.
>>
>> Is this correct?
>>
>> Now on to the SCSI controller part of my question.  In my kernel file I have the following:
>>
>> #SCSI Controllers
>> controller nca0	at isa? port 0x1f88 bio irq 10   (i also tried controller  nca0 at isa? port 0x1f88 bio irq 10 vector ncaintr)
>
>The nca driver isn't supported in 3.0 and newer.  (and isn't likely to be
>supported unless someone with hardware decides to port the driver)  Sorry.
>
>If you want to use your CDROM drive, you'll have to get a support SCSI
>controller.  Or you can go back to 2.2.8 -- the nca driver last worked in
>that release.
>

>Ken
>--
>Kenneth Merry
>ken@kdm.org

Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM -  tforrest@mcs.net
http://www.mcs.net/~tforrest
And now, its time, for some useless, bandwidth wasting words of wisdom:
Speed Kills - Use Windows!

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 5762 A3CC 8EA5 8542  9666 222B 61A9 2558

** Tag(s) inserted by Bandit Tagger98 - http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c918704