Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:24:03 -0700
From:      John Hight <hight@std.sri.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System Commander and FreeBSD problems

Recently I've totally reorganized my four-scsi-drive system.  I
previously used NT's loader, but I'm currently reworking thinks to try
using System Commander.  I've finally managed to bust through the evil
Microsoft OSs and get them working, but now I'm stuck with getting
FreeBSD boot.

I've got FreeBSD installed on the 1st partition of my 3rd drive.  I
can boot off my floppy with "Boot: sd(2,a)/kernel", and when I
disconnect my 1st two drives (scsi id 0 and 1), I can get a direct
boot off the drive (Sys Cmdr is on drive 1, sd0).  But when I put both
my other drives back on line, I get "Read error" after selecting my
FreeBSD menu-item in the System Commander popup.

Does System Commander have any requirements for systems to boot off of
the first two drives?

Does FreeBSD have any requirements for systems to boot off of the
first two drives?

I'm frustrated having to muck with this low level stuff.  I had hoped
the process would be simpler by going to a "3rd-party/independent"
software package (i.e., System Commander) and I have used it
successfully in other situations.

Thanks,
John