Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 1996 20:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Timson <100422.3102@CompuServe.COM>
Cc:        Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help please

On 6 Sep 1996, Paul Timson wrote:

> I've got my PC all setup nicely running Windows 3.1.

Good.

> I subscribed to FREEBSD thinking wouldn't it be great to run a proper Operating
> System on my PC.?

heh heh heh...:-)

> I  put the FREEBSD CD in my panasonic CD drive and its visible from windows. I
> can vcreate a boot floppy and boot successfully.

Well of course that'll work.

> However, thats as far as I get. The view screen says there are no CD drives and
> no SCSI disks!!!

That's no surprise.

You will want to do the following:

0) Make sure the CD is in the drive.

1) At the Boot: prompt, type '-c'

2) At the config> prompt, type 'visual'

3) On 'Storage' hit enter.  Scroll down to 'Matsushita ... mcd0' and make
sure the settings at the bottom of the screen are right; if not, edit as
necessary.

4) Remove all other devices not in your machine (by selecting them and
hitting <delete>).  Type 'q' and 'y' to resume booting.

> Its a clone IBM using an INTEL 486 DX2 50 CPU, 8MB RAM, adaptec 1542B scsi
> controller, quantum lp240S SCSI disk, JAZZ16 (soundblaster compatible sound
> card) which also hosts the Panasonic CD-ROM. I have a standard serial/Parallel
> card which supports a 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives.

Standard stuff.

> I use MSCDEX to make the CD visible.

The DOS stuff doesn't apply.

> OH AND I'D BETTER JUST SAY THAT I OBTAINED THE PC SECOND HAND ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO
> AND HAVE NO MANUALS ON THE ADAPTEC CONTROLLER.....

My guess is that one of the other drivers is chomping on the 'aha' driver
which runs your Adaptec.