Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:25:29 -0400
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of USB "Disk on a key" devices

When I read that there was a disk-on-key device with an embedded
fingerprint reader, I went to a local mall to look for such a beast.
Instead, I found myself fascinated by similar devices that claimed they were
bootable, so I bought one.  After some massaging (make installworld and
such), it even boots!  FreeBSD!  into multiuser!  Very cool indeed.  The
only problem (well, besides the fact it's very flow) is that the boot
manager gets confused when loaded from the usb disk.  It would show all the
proper slices, but when you hit the corresponding Fn keys, it just beeps at
you.  I could, however, hit F5 and use the /boot/loader from my real drive
to load the kernel on the usb disk.  I'm probably missing something
obvious, so if one of the boot0 experts happen to see this, please give me
a hand.  (This is a week-old -CURRENT, BTW)

-Jon