Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 05:26:43 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Dustin Harris <dustinh@webtrends.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-smp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compaq DL360 Revisited

Dustin Harris wrote:
> I finally do have my DL360 booting SMP.  The fix was either using a stable
> snapshot from the 16th or using the compaq smartstart software to rebuild
> the machine as type "Linux OS" instead of "Other", which is what I had been
> using.  I also have the trouble with my CD rom like others have reported,
> but I don't use the CD really after the install is complete and I'm too
> happy to have both cpu's working to really care :)

The bug below is that the bios **disables** the local APICs unless you've
selected an OS that the software knows is 'SMP aware'.  Ie: if you have it
on 'Other' or 'DOS' or 'UNIX' it will disable SMP.  I was only able to get
it eventually working when the OS was set to 'Windows NT' or 'Windows 2000'
although I did not try them all.

I have no trouble with RELENG_4 - but -current will not find the PCI bridges
unless I have acpica active.  There appears to be a problem with the
pcibios stuff on this machine.  Or maybe I should keep changing the
OS type until I have checked them all.... :-]  This wretched machine
has nearly driven me mad.

Cheers,
-Peter