Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 17:12:17 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "brandon@virage.com" <brandon@virage.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cpu considerations for packet filtering

On Wed, 02 Sep 1998 13:35:53 -0700, Brandon Huey wrote:

>how important is L2 cache for packet-filtering, and heavy network
>traffic in general?
>
>i have a very small 3.0-SNAP kernel with ipf and ssh that will boot from
>floppy into memory. the hard drive in the machine is used only for
>logging. i'm writing a front-end to ipf so that the admin of this
>gateway can generate new rules and have them updated via scp.
>i want to build this as cheaply as possible and am interested by the AMD
>3D cpu which i have found for < $100. the possible downside is that it
>has no integrated cache.
>
>advice?

I'm confused... Level 2 cache is usually located on the motherboard,
with the Pentium II being the odd man out (nice if you have a big
enough die).  Are you saying the motherboard doesn't have an L2 cache
??  If you're getting a motherboard that has no L2 but it does have the
CPU, you can always buy a different motherboard.  I went to AMDs web
site and their description of their 3DNow chips show an L1 cache...