Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:37:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Michael Grant <mg-fbsd@grant.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mtrace

You're a genius, thanks.  It was the firewall. I added the following
rule to my ipf.conf and now it works fine.

  pass out quick proto 2 all

"No route to host" is a really strange error to me.  I guess the
packet is somehow stopped before it gets sent out and EHOSTUNREACH is
returned.  I personally think the packet should be sent down and
blocked by the firewall such that the firewall would put something
into it's logs.  This doesn't seem to be happening though.

-Mike