Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:18:52 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Richard Goh <accel@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Solid-StateDisk

> Hi,
> I am running freebsd 2.2.5 on an industrial pc.
> Due to high temperature and vibration, would like to replace the harddisk
> with a solid state one.
> Can this be done?

Yes.

> Anyone experienced with this?

Yes.

> Thanks for any info.

If you're running a reasonably cut-down system, I suggest that you look
at PicoBSD and one of the flash cards that emulate a floppy drive or
harddisk at the BIOS level.  You won't be able to read/write the disk
once FreeBSD has booted though, but this is often OK for embedded
applications.

If you need rewritable storage, there are solid-state disks available
both using flash and battery-backed DRAM.  Owing to the behaviour of
the BSD filesystem, you may find that flash disks have an unacceptably
short lifetime (50-100,000 write cycles).

See http://www.indcompsrc.com/products/drives/home.html for some
examples (ICS are expensive, you will be able to do better elsewhere if
you can find other suppliers).

FreeBSD does not have flash filesystem support at this time.