Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:45:12 -0500
From:      Eugene Lee <list-freebsd@fsck.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hyperthreading question

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 03:36:28PM -0400, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
:
: I'm upgrading some machines from 4.8-RELEASE to 4.10-RELEASE. The
: machines in question are dual-processor xeon boxes. Now, my boss is
: adamant in that he doesn't want hyperthreading enabled on the machines.
:
: In 4.8-RELEASE things were simple... I just didn't add the "options HTT"
: line to my kernel config file. In 4.10-RELEASE though, HTT is enabled by
: default.
:
: So, is there any way to shut off the hyperthreading? I've tried
: disabling it in the BIOS, and had no luck whatsoever.

Hyperthreading is built into the kernel by default starting with
FreeBSD-4.9.  However, it is not enabled by default.  To do so,
do a "sysctl machdep.hlt_logical_cpus=0"