Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:43:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4 MB RAM? (long)

"All versions of FreeBSD, including 3.0, will RUN in 4MB of ram, they
just can't run the installation program in 4MB. You can add extra
memory for the install process, if you like, and then after the system
is up and running, go back to 4MB. Or you could always just swap your
disk into a system which has >4MB, install onto it and then swap it
back."  Thus the FAQ.

I was planning to do this (put drive in other system)  for an old 486
laptop with 4MB, which isn't really worth the plus $50-100 they charge
for a RAM-card to upgrade.
I tried whether it worked on a desktop first. I installed a 4.0
snapshot on a 486DX66 with 8MB, which went fine, and
then took 4 MB out. No go with the generic kernel, but well that's in
the FAQ also. It does run with a custom kernel... for a while. The
machine sort of stops responding when the daily checks are being done.
Drives keep running and running. It spits out one message:
sendmail[889]: CAA00843: SYSERR(root): timeout writing message to
local.
This is at 02:51 hours, 51 minutes after the checks start. I
waited for another couple of hours. No change. So I did a cold reboot,
even though the machine wasn't completely dead: the screensaver was
still moving. And it started moving again after stopping it by hitting
a key. Moving from one virtual console to another also still worked.
But that's it.

To test the thing I let the box run rc5des, which runs at nice 20 by
default and does take only 800K RAM. I also tried running without
sendmail. Questions I have: 1. Anyone with more success? What is the
secret? Kill the daily's? 2. Will an older version do better on 4 MB?
I do know about 2.1.7.1. But I do need PCMCIA-support for a ed0 card.
I managed to install 2.1.7 through plip some time ago without taking
the harddisk out. But couldn't find a way to get the network card
running.

Thanks for any pointers!

Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	  4:02am  up  17 days,   4:14,
load average: 8.58 7.23 6.52 (make buildworld -j12 :-)