Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2008 01:41:46 GMT
From:      Derrick <dbuckhal@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/121549: nve interface locks up during rc.conf initialization

>Number:         121549
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       nve interface locks up during rc.conf initialization
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
dbuck@cobra /usr/src/sys/i386/conf$ uname -a
FreeBSD cobra.duck.com 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008     root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Motherboard:  EVGA 780i(P03), dual 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports
CPU:  Intel E6850
Hard drives:  Dual Seagate 300GB SATA
  FreeBSD Boot manager
  F1  DOS (Windows XP)
  F2  FreeBSD 7.0-Release

During a fresh install onto the second partition of the first hard drive, I visited the Post Install area to configure Ethernet Interfaces.  After plugging in the static IP information for nfe0, the system would lock up immediately once I chose to bring up the interface, nfe0.  After a reboot, I manually added the nve0 info into rc.conf and once again it would lock up once it seem to initialize the Ethernet device.  Once I commented out the "ifconfig_nve0" line from rc.conf the system would boot fine.  I have tried both static and DHCP and both cause the system to lock up.  I eventually found that I can manually run the "ifconfig nfe0 inet 192.68.0.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0" command after the system boots and it will not lock up.
>How-To-Repeat:
1. Add nfe device information through the initial install and bring the interface up.
2. Run sysinstall after your installation and bring the interface up.
3. Manually add nfe device information into the rc.conf file and reboot.
>Fix:
Do not enter the "ifconfig_nfe0..." line into your rc.conf and enter command manually after systme boots up.