Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:23:51 -0500
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Marin Atanasov <dnaeon@gmail.com>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple serial consoles via null modem cable

On Jan 12, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:14:44 +0200 Marin Atanasov wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking about the following situation - 1 system acting like a
>> host
>> with a serial port hub, each port of the hub is connected to a
>> different
>> machine on sio0, using null modem cables.
>
> Along with milti-io serial cards we use multi-usb serial
> converters, such as SUNIX UTS7009P (7 USB to serial adapter):
> http://www.sunix.com.tw/it/en/LinkCraft/UTS4009P_UTS7009P.htm

I need to look it up when I'm in front of a real computer, but there
are a number of reasonably priced multport USB to serial converters
out there.  We have a 16 port model that's rack mounted and cost
around $400.  It works better many of the more expensive multiport
serial cards. Paired with conserver, it's a really nice solution.
Conserver's logging is great...

I've used old dedicated terminal servers in the past and they can be a
pain to deal with.  The newer ones are probably nicer, but are also
lots of money.