Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:21:01 +0900
From:      Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Sysinstall is still horribly broken.

jhb> Not sure what this is all about.  /etc/fstab should exist in
jhb> theory.  Actually, it might not exist yet.

/etc/fstab should *not* exist since /etc is in mfsroot.flp.  If there
is /etc/fstab which is match your disk configulation, that's magic :-)

jhb> During an install w/o using existing partitions we don't have a /
jhb> filesystem to put /etc/fstab in.  Probably we should use an
jhb> explicit fsck_ffs or fsck -t ffs when fscking existing
jhb> filesystems from sysinstall.

We don't run fsck iff we don't use existing partitions.  That's why
"/etc/fstab:0: No such file or directory" message are not shown.
There is a code for fscking existing partitions but it doesn't work
until my last commit to src/sys/release/{alpha,i386,pc98}/boot_crunch.conf.

We are in 5-current era, and we can't asssume that all device file
listed in existing /etc/fstab in /dev on the disk (imagine you add a
new disk after installing 5-current).  Sysinstall should be changed,
since it assume that /dev on existing (root) partition has all device
files which are listed in /etc/fstab or whatever.  I'll try to fix in
this evening.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita