Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:41:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nicole <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Coincidence

 --- "Daniel A." <alive@dienub.org> wrote:

> Cy Schubert wrote:
> > In message <20070202150548.GS12602@over-yonder.net>, "Matthew D.
> Fuller"
> > writes
> > :
> >> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 05:35:16AM -0800 I heard the voice of
> >> Cy Schubert, and lo! it spake thus:
> peace.
> >> ACK!
> >>
> >> Please don't say that where my ~10 year old drives can hear you

> :(
> >
> > I do have a full height 9 GB Seagate SCSI in a P150-S which is
> ~10-12 years
> > old and still spinning (and still sounding like a jet engine).
Good
> genes,
> > I guess.
> >
> > All my other drives are spinning at half speed in respect for the
> two which
> > have passed on.
> >

> (Sorry, forgot to CC)
> On the note of dying hard drives, I come to think of one particular

> drive that I'm using in my server right now.
>
> It's a 120GB Maxtor drive. Not old, but this story is worh it.
> One day, my server had crashed on me. I had a faulty CPU at that
> time.
> When I tried to turn my server back on, the machine just hung, and
> the
> drive was saying little "click click click click" noises. "Oh no!",
>
> thought to myself, "All my PORN!?" Could it really be that I had
been

> subjected to the click of death?
> In despair, I turned off the box, and let it stay powered off in my

> closet for a whole, full week.
>
> So, I came back from work one night, and decided to check if the
> drive
> was really dead. I turned on the box, and it booted! All my files
> were
> in place, no damages had happened. The drive has been working
> flawlessly
> ever since, except now I use a seagate as my main system disk, and
> the Maxtor as /home.

 I have had a couple of drives succom to the click of death, but I
never thought to punish them with a time-out to make them consider
working.

 On a few cases, I found that when trying to get the data off a
clicking   drive, I could give it a good Wack when it locked up and
that would make it go a bit further to get more data off. To each
their own style :)

   Nicole
      Feeling very Ilsa The Drive Warden